As a nation, day-to-day style has changed so much and we are mashing up the likes of floral tea dresses with chunky white sneaks, formal trousers with flatform smarts and the ultimate combo; the blazer jeans and Converse.
But where do you start and how do you make sure the trainers you invest in are flattering yet also in line with your (A)uthentic Style Personality.
Firstly don't go cheap especially if you do a lot of walking.
New Look and Next have a great range however they are more aesthetic than practical a lot of the time.
Great for a starting point though to try out with things you already have.
I always opt for a sports brand where possible as they have the support, durability and I know I'll get my cost per wear out of them.
Trainers Tips For Your Body.
Chunky Calves / Thick Ankles / Short Legs
- Avoid high top trainers, they shorten the leg, can be tight fitting around your ankle and cut you off at the wrong point.
- Opt for a light colour - white, grey, silver, gold or blush
- Go chunky. Thick soled, flatform or slightly elevated
- The rounder the toe, the more flattering. More pointed trainers make your legs appear thicker
- Avoid slip on high vamp (ending at the upper foot) pull on trainers
Thinner Legs / Long Legs / Slim Ankles
- High Tops and ankle height trainers work really well for you
- If you are wanting to make your legs look shorter opt for a darker colour - black, charcoal, reds, navy etc
- Slim line trainers work really well to reflect the size of your legs and to avoid overpowering you
- If you're an apple with a bigger tummy and slim legs try to steer away from anything too pointed as it will emphasise your midriff
Trainers For Your Style Personality
Classic / Natural
You may want to add trainers to a classy jeans, t-shirt and blazer combination.
Add them to some tailored chinos a pretty blouse and a long line duster coat or a simple shirt dress.
Creatives might opt for trainers with slogan jumpers and boyfriend jeans.
Maybe a dungaree dress or a boiler suit.
Dramatics may want to wear trainers with leather trousers, fitted jeans or a biker jacket and jean combination.
Trend Based / Edgy
The edgier dresser may wear their trainers with shirt dresses, straight leg jeans and a slogan t-shirt, pleated skirts or maybe an over sized smock dress.
Feminine romantic dressers are not naturally drawn to trainers but when they do they wear trainers adorned with pearls, cute diamantes or glitter.
Try some with a cute tea dress and, maxi skirt and camisole or teamed with some soft, floaty trousers and a blouse.
I hope that this gives you some clarity on where to start with trainers.
Here are some inspiration pictures from Pinterest.
Love these, want to try out some of these looks?
Commit, search, scroll and rock and roll!
Remember it's all trial and error and part of your unique style journey.
Ready steady, GO!
Lots of Love,