So what exactly does it mean to have a pear body shape?
Representing about 20% of the female population, pear shapes tend to have a smaller bust and a well-defined waist in comparison to their legs, hips and thighs.
Here are characteristics typical of a pear-shaped body:
● If you gain weight, you tend to gain on your lower body (bottom and legs)
● Your hips, legs and thighs are proportionally bigger than your bust and waist
● Your well-defined waist is one of your best assets, so show it off by adding some volume and structure above the waist
● You tend to have great arms which are a great feature to show off
● Your legs may be short, and or fuller and muscular, but you tend to have narrow shoulders
The key to dressing a pear-shaped body is to;
1) Create additional size and volume on your top half, thus creating a balanced hourglass shape as well as de-emphasising your hips and thighs.
2) Once you have created volume on top you then need to accentuate your slimmest point which is your waist.
3) The third strategy is to visually reduce the width of your hips, thighs and bottom by adopting some simple style principles.
1) Creating additional size and adding curves to your top half In order to create additional size you can use a number of key style strategies.
Wearing bust-enhancing tops and necklines: bustier, v-neck and sweetheart
● Wearing tops with horizontal detailing such as stripes and slogans
● Going for voluminous scarves with eye catching prints and bold colour
● Braving statement jewellery such as chunky necklaces and dangly earrings
● Wearing tops with necklines that stretch horizontally such as boat, Bardot and straight neck
2) Accentuating your slimmest point (your waist) can be done by;
Wearing eye catching belts
Wearing jackets or tops which end across your midriff or at your natural waist
Wearing blazers or jackets which nip you in and emphasise your waist
Wearing fitted shirts or blouses with ties around the waist
3) Visually reduce the size of your bottom, hips and thighs by;
● Wearing darker colours on your bottom half and combining them with attention grabbing clothing on top such as; patterns, prints, colours, textures and detailing such as ruffles, frills, stripes and lace
● Wearing light coloured clothing on top
● Dresses and trousers which skim your curves rather than cling
● Wearing clothing with vertical detailing such as seams and zips that elongate and slim your lower half
● Avoiding trousers or jeans with too much detailing such as zips, pockets and prominent waist bands. Opt for more vertical detailing, such as seams, down the front of the trouser leg which will elongate your legs
Accentuating your slim waist
● Horizontal detailing such as seams (on peplum tops)
● Waist belts and clinchers work well to accentuate your waist
● Belted tops and wrap styles work really well to show off your slim waist
Here are my top 3 of EVERYTHING to wear to flatter and complement your body shape
- Wearing necklines stretching horizontally; boat neck, straight or Bardot, for example
- Bardot tops are fantastic as they are an off-the-shoulder piece which shows off your gorgeous shoulders: something which pears usually feel more confident in showing off
- Wearing light colours; white, light pink, nude on top. Or bright & bold colours and prints; reds, oranges, pinks and blues. Combined with darker colours on the bottom such as navy, black, brown or charcoal grey
- Maxi dresses with shoulder detailing to balance out your hips and bottom
- Dresses with high necklines that drop down from your bottom and hips
- Strapless dresses as the horizontal line across the bust creates width and balances out your bottom half
- Strapless jumpsuits which have a Bardot style top are great, especially if the bottom half is wide legged. This creates balance and streamlines your figure
- Wrap jumpsuits are also a fabulous way to accentuate your bust
- Belted jumpsuits work really well
Jackets and Coats
- Structured styles with well-defined shoulders
- Wide lapels and structured shoulders (notice a theme appearing!)
- Biker jackets are a great way to add width to your chest and shoulders due to the width of the lapels
- Wide, bootcut or flared leg
- Palazzo trousers and culottes
- Jeans with fading down the centre of the leg will slim your thighs
Leggings and Jeggings
- If these are a staple item in your wardrobe, ensure your top finishes past the hips and bottom and nips in at the waist. Wearing a belted tunic or dress over leggings works. Wear chunky footwear so you don’t appear to be bottom heavy
- Wide fitted shorts will slim thighs
- Floaty shorts with vertical prints
- Dark colours, worn with vibrant tops
- A-line and flared
- Skater styles
- Full circle skirts
- Statement earrings work as a great technique to focus the eyes upwards and can allow you to inject your personality
- Bright, bold scarves are a pear's best friend as they can add colour and volume to an outfit distracting from your lower body
- Collars. Try a preppy collar over a jumper or plain crew neck jumper to add interest
- Wide belts across your natural waist
- A wide belt with a vertical buckle creates a contrast against your wider hips, but still draws the eye up and down, therefore elongating your body
- Printed or embroidered belts work well to create balance and interest. Try one over a plain shirt or tunic for more shape!
- Vertical hanging details create length. A dangling chain will draw the eye up and down, giving you some extra length at the waist
- Large tote bags add interest and volume to your top half
- Patterned clutch bag. Holding a vibrant, patterned clutch bag draws the eye to the top half of the body and away from your lower half
- Hobo bags worn on the crook of the arm. They create volume when worn in front of your body
- A medium to high heel to lengthen your legs and de-emphasise your thighs
- A high heel if you can handle it, but a sturdier heel than stilettos to prevent thighs looking heavier. Platforms or wedges are good!
- A low vamp heel is a fab way of elongating your leg and ankle
- A bold print or vibrant coloured top will draw the eye up top and balance your hips
- Tankinis are good when the top is horizontally-striped and the bottom part is dark
- Swim dresses are great as an all in one option in you want to cover the tops of your thighs
Famous Pear-Shaped Women
If you really want to get the full body shape bible full of information for each and every item of clothing and how to wear it for a pear, then the Pointer For Pears Style Bible is for you.
And don't forget for any further information or help with making those all important clothing choices, use the Style HUB Facebook group to share your outfits, potential purchases and feel good photos.